tisdag 3 maj 2016

Velvet Eden - Requiem


Yesterday I finally received my copy of Velvet Eden's last album Requiem! (+chekis from their last gig). *I bought my copy from the label and this time the CD wasn't signed*
To be honest, I've gotten quite used to the idea of Velvet Eden breaking up for good and I didn't feel that sad either. Listening to this minialbum and watching the DVD that came with it changed that.
Requiem consists of 5 new songs (sort of, Sea of Blood was released as a demo in 2012), and all of them are rather gloomy and slow songs. I would say it's quite a good farewell album.
Dada shared demo versions of the songs during the year on their youtube channel but since I like the feeling of listening to a cd for the first time I only listened once.
My overall thought is that Requiem really captured the essence of Velvet Eden. It's dark, sad and some songs aren't really catchy like some of the newer songs has been. After hearing the album just once my favorite song was (and still is acctually) the titletrack, Requiem. It has something very special about it, and eventhough the tune is rather fast (for this album) it still made me slightly sad, just like I want my Velvet Eden :3
But the more I listened to the album, the more the songs grew on me. Eraser didn't get stuck in my head at all but now it's another favorite from Requiem! I love how the synth mixes well with the electronic guitar.
One thing that bothered me a bit with Requiem is the fact that it sounds like the music is louder than Dada's voice. (did anyone else experience that??)
The DVD included contains PV's for Toxic Queen and No.15, and also the collaboration video Velvet Eden did with the manga artist Senno Knife last year.
So about the PV's. Toxic Queen was just Chro and Dada in a black and white room, in their black and white outfits. No.15 was made as a performance, the PV takes place on a stage from some livehouse and in the background you can see the painting which is also the cover for Requiem. I really liked this PV acctually. It might sound boring that it's like a performance but it made me remember how it was standing on the frontrow watching Velvet Eden perform No.15. The song is also one of my favorites, as well as Toxic Queen so I think they made a great decision when it comes to the PV's this time! Don't know if others noticed but bits of this PV was used in a trailer/teaser for a Velvet Eden livegig last year!

Last but not least, the Senno Knife collaboration!
It's images as from a manga shown to a new version of Street of ALICE. I really liked the storyline although it was a bit hard to follow for me. In the end you get to see Dada and Chro as characters in the story.

Overall, I demand all Velvet Eden fans to buy this! Show your last support if you enjoy their music and art.
After listening to the CD and watching the DVD it really hit me that it's over. There won't be anymore Velvet Eden, and it really made me sad.
I also came to the conclusion it should be illegal for Dada to stop singing, having that voice and not perform is a crime! I really hope he'll show up here and there, perhaps even do something as solo for fun. Because I NEED more~

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar